Sunday, March 10, 2013

Using YOUTUBE to help "YOUTEACH" ...

I’m sure all of us that are using technology and conscious of the Flipped Model are more than familiar/comfortable with youtube.  I know there are lots of other video platforms out there like Vimeo, Schooltube, etc … I am using youtube because it is what I am most comfortable with and it is not blocked by our school district ;-).  I also go right from youtube not from downloaded sources and the clips are short.  I am not trying to "watch a video" but merely using a short clip as a means to create deeper understanding or a discussion point for class.

Using video clips can be great visual and conceptual tools for a lesson.  I use them all the time for “case studies” in my area of health education.  I am amazed at what is out there to use as supplemental clips to aid in discussion, demonstrating a point, connecting a concept, etc.  it sometimes is as simple as typing in a situation to search and viola … you’ve got a bunch of clips to choose from.  You can pretty much use youbtube just like a search engine or even use a search engine's video search.  I simply type in a show I think would work and some buzz words like "Big Bang Theory Breakup" "According to Jim Anger", "Seinfeld Gonnorhea" and see what shows?  Sometimes you can click the similar links that pop up and guide you to a perfect clip somewhere else.  Try to be as specific as you can in the title to narrow a search. 
Now obviously there is a lot of inappropriate stuff out there so I would never blindly pull up a clip and show it in class.  Also beware of student suggestions on-the-spot too.  Many kids will say “Oh, pull this video up it is perfect for this situation.”  Their view of school appropriate and an adults’ view of school appropriate are WAAAAAY different.  I am all for student suggestion but I definitely preview before I present.  I have been burned on that one before!!

Here is an example of how I used a clip from “According to Jim” off of youtube to illustrate a point about emotional management.

First, the students have watched 2 vodcasts about emotional management.  Vodcast 2.1 talks about how the brain processes emotional stimuli (Amygdala & Pre-frontal cortex) and Vodcast 2.2 talks about the 6 skills for reacting better (Recognizing A.N.T.s, Using diffusers, Compassion, Decision making, communication & relaxation).

We have talked in class a little about the concepts of the A.N.T.s (Automatic Negative Thoughts) & Diffusers.  I then play the clip and have the students answer questions either on paper or in a google doc connecting the concepts from the vodcasts, class activities and the clip.  I love using popular TV sitcoms because they are usually well known, funny, and usually accurate in some exaggerated spectrum.  Seinfeld, although dated, provides many good life lesson clips!!  I also like “the Big Bang theory” especially in dealing with communication & relationships.  There are a ton of shows out there but those have been a few I really like.  PSA’s are also great to find too.   Usually short but very powerful (“this is your brain on drugs … any questions”) we tend to remember those!!
In a classroom setting, I simply pull the clip up in class and we watch it together, but you could easliy link the video off of a website or moodle and have the kids watch it and answer the google doc questions in small groups or individually.  Lots of options here.

Here is the according to Jim clip and the According to Jim google doc with questions I use. 
I also included a few other clips I use in my class over the semester.  (Keep in mind I teach health & sex education so I have a little more “spectrum” to include .. ;-)
  
Seinfeld "Shrinkage" (Male reproductive system)
  
TBBT "Screwed" (Relationship problems)
 
Montana meth Project "Not Gonna Be that Guy" PSA
   
Give some clips a try to make your content a little richer and open up those classroom walls to the world. 

No comments:

Post a Comment