Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Skype & Polleverywhere Combo

I recently did a skype activity while also using polleverywhere as a way to generate discussion.

The Story ....
My health classes were just beginning a unit on Addiction. To start the unit off I usually share a story about my wife who, in her younger days, didn’t make such good decisions.  She had gotten involved in the party lifestyle at a young age and by the time she had reached her junior year she had gotten into an alcohol related crash that totaled her car and broke her right femur in 22 places.
After seeing how a lot of her friends were drinking AND doing drugs she got rather bitter about her “consequence” when she only drank … thus thrusting her into a more hardcore party mindset.  By the next year she began experimenting with drugs and even selling drugs.  She wound up getting into a 2nd accident where she crushed her right ankle.  There was irreparable damage to her lower leg/ankle.  This time she “woke-up” so to speak and realized that she couldn’t keep living this kind of life and made some positive changes.
The set up ....
The first class day, I share the entire story (pictures and all) with the class.  I usually do a big dramatic rendition of the events as if these had happened to two different people that I knew.  I reveal at the end this happened to the same person.  It is kind of entertaining because I get a lot of comments like “what is she stupid?”, and “you’d think she would’ve learned?!” …. Then the big reveal … it was my wife (I usually show some family pics and let them figure it out … it is a shocking revelation.  (My wife and I have been married 17 years and I have been doing this for a while so I have had my wife’s blessing.  She would also admit that in those days she wasn’t real bright so the comments aren’t offensive but ring more truth than not.) 

 Usually after the presentation, I am flooded with all kinds of questions about her shoe raise, what did her parents think, does she still drink .. etc.  Schedules don’t always allow for her to come in, and she can easily get frustrated when a teen looks at her with the “Yeah, but that is you … I am not THAT dumb” kind of look  ;-)  she isn’t as refined as I am … tee hee

The "Light Bulb" ....
Wondering how to make the personal experience a little more convenient, I got the idea a year ago to use Skype!!  Viola … we could have her in class and the kids can interact and talk to her and she doesn’t have to leave the house.  Some classes only need like 20 mins and another might take the whole hour??   Most of the time I would get a few good questions and then kids would sort of “time-out” so I wanted to generated more discussion.  This year I started using Polleverywhere in my classes and realized this was a perfect complement to a Skyping activity.  The kids can send questions and I can monitor and read them in a flash.  It worked awesome!  Kids could ask questions and not worry if they were getting too personal and it allowed me to re-word questions that might be confusing otherwise.   My next challenge may be to have the presenter open the poll on another device so he/she can see the questions as they come in.  My wife, for example, could have the poll up on her iPad while she is skyping us on the computer.  That way she can see the questions as they pop up in real time and can answer them accordingly.
I realized that with the Flipped classroom model gaining popularity and classes starting to use Skype and other video chatting platforms it seems to be a perfect complement to each other.  Even with a guest speaker, it allows kids to text questions during a presentation as they think of them, and I (or the presenter) can answer them as they come in.  It can also be a check at the end to see if all the questions got answered in the presentation.  I was also able to use the Mobile app so I can monitor the poll right on my smartphone and not be tied to a computer.  It worked very efficiently.   If your presenter has this technology, I think it could be a very engaging way to interact with a presenter.

 I hoping to schedule a few more Skype sessions with some “experts” in the health & Fitness field next semester and I truly think that Polleverywhere is a great tool to use to help draw questions out of students.  Maybe this is old news for those out there using technology, but using skype and Polleverywhere in tandem was a great success.  So if you are interested, give it a try.

 FYI … The kids like the Tweet option in polleverywhere and the pollev.com/ feature seems to be the easiest as you can “push” your polls to mobile devices.  Just my observation … J





No comments:

Post a Comment